Sunday, April 1, 2007

Enterprise Architecture.... We are never gonna make it..

What a strange title, that is promissing everything and also nothing. When some-one is talking about Enterprise Architecture (EA) and saying this is the whole picture, Products, Organisation, management style, Culture, Processes, IT-systems, I would say that would be perfect! But...please show me three companies who have a succesfull implemented this. Than it always is silient at the other end of the table, because Mr/Mrs Enterprise Architect (and always former IT-architect), can come up with the right answer.... We are hoping to reach this, but when we are half way, the companies changes under our fingers and we are back to square one...

I realy believe in EA, don't get me wrong, but on a pragmatic way. With that I mean without mentioning management style, culture. On the rest I firmly believe that architecture should have always what to do with Information Systems.

Please comment :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Aino,

I agree with your comments, and have posted more detail on my blog.

EA is an IT function to some extent, but requires business participation to be successful, and I don't think that most industries value IT enough to make the required cultural change.

Most businesses that I have been involved in see IT as a service provider, and despite the lip service about partnership that may be heard, they truly just want their IT department to deliver the solution that they have already settled upon through discussions with vendors or knowledge of competitor practices.

Anonymous said...

Great work.